Located off the coast of the City of Cedar Key, Atsena Otie (pronounced “aSEEna Otee”) was a proposed housing development in the early 1990s. The FNCC encouraged and lobbied for the public acquisition of the island. It is a historical land site .
Until 1896 it was occupied by townspeople and the Eberhard Faber (Pencil) Company cedar lumber mill.
Many of the pioneer families of Cedar Key lived on Atsena Otie until the hurricane of 1896. Today the island is open to the public. Atsena Otie has a wonderful walking trail from the dock and beach back to the old cemetery as well as fabulous kayak trails.
The very old cemetery has been faithfully and carefully restored under the leadership of FNCC board member Erik Brogren. Atsena Otie is now owned by the Suwannee River Water Management District. The project is managed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service of the Lower Suwannee and Cedar Key Refuges.
To learn more about the colorful history of Atsena Otie, please visit the Wikipedia site..